A Simple Comparison of Cross-Platform Text Editors by Their Privacy Policy

A Simple Comparison of Cross-Platform Text Editors by Their Privacy Policy


A Simple Comparison of Cross-Platform Text Editors by Their Privacy Policy

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 05:40 AM PST

So I decided to compare the popular cross-platform note taking apps, by comparing how they take and use your data. I have referred to their privacy policy and/or whatever documents I could find regarding this. So here it goes :

SimpleNote

Price : Free

SimpleNote is a widely used cross-platform note taking app. They have dedicated applications for every major platform. While Simplenote do not provide extensive details about encryption of data, they do have a concise privacy policy which is easy to understand. They have also open-sourced their applications.

According to my findings, Simplenote states that

We will share your personally identifiable information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these functions and provide such services, and only pursuant to binding contractual obligations requiring such third parties to maintain the privacy and security of your data.

They are also ready to comply with requests from government for your data. There is also no clear mention if your data is being read by Automattic Inc. or not.

The app turned out to be bug free in my usage.

Download Simplenote

Google Keep

Price : Free

Google Keep is a note-taking app by Google. According to their privacy policy, Google collects data which is read by automated machines. They offer confidentiality of personal data and do not share it with any other company. Google Keep also lacks key features like attachments and API for usage across other applications.

The app functions quite well, with exception of the drawing tool, which fails to launch on the latest build.

Download Google Keep

Evernote

Price : Free for 2 devices, $3.99/mo or $34.99/yr for Plus, $7.99/mo or $69.99/yr for Premium.

Evernote is the most widely used cross-platform note taking app. According to their Privacy Policy, Evernote and its partner companies collect your device ID, your name and your location along with various other forms of personally identifiable data. They have the most integration out of all note taking services with other applications, as well as the most feature rich. However, they have a severely limited 2 device policy and have recently come into limelight for some controversial decisions.

The app is also very bloated and buggy at times.

According to the latest update to their privacy policy, they do not read what is written in your notes.

Download Evernote

OneNote

Price : Free

Microsoft's offering collects personally identifiable information and shares it with third party companies for "better experience". They do not explain clearly about what type of data they collect through OneNote, but I do not recommend OneNote if you have any form of sensitive data to store, mainly because of their sharing of data to third party.

The app is quite slow to launch compared to other apps. It also takes a little while to completely load plain text documents with moderate amount of data.

Download OneNote

WorkFlowy

Price : Free, $4.99/mo for WorkFlowy Pro

WorkFlowy have a very concise privacy policy. While they do collect Personally Identifiable information, they mention you can opt-out of these services. They also mention that they do not share information to any third party. WorkFlowy however mentions that your data can/will be stored on their servers even after you elect to opt out from their servcies.

The app is very well designed and simplistic to use. It was bug-free during my time with the app.

Download WorkFlowy

Turtl

Price : Free (Currently)

Turtl promotes itself on its privacy features. Aside from Government requests, they state:

Turtl will never share your information with any third party other than a law enforcement agency which has a valid, legal court order mandating us to turn over information. We will not give your information to third parties.

At times, Turtl may advertise, endorse, or promote features or other products, but at no time will any third-party advertiser be allowed to place any hooks into our codebase. Any advertisements run on the Turtl application will be run by Turtl and no one else.

The app is fast, but the design should get a rework. It sometimes fails to load certain components like 'about' data in settings. However, Turtl is still, a new product. It has various limitations and still in beta, but still, If I had to recommend a cross-platform note-taking app right now, Turtl will get my vote, solely due to its privacy policy.

Download Turtl

TLDR : For cross-platform note taking with privacy, Turtl is recommended. SimpleNote and Workflowy are recommended if you want a simple, functional app. Do not bother with OneNote.

Disclaimer : I am by no means affiliated with any company, group or organization having any kind of relation to above topic. I am a simple student who has compiled the above in good faith. There may or may not be errors in my interpretation of the documents I referred to, so please notify me if I have made any mistake.

submitted by /u/iwantatrophy
[link] [comments]

Is Action Launcher worth it if I've already bought Nova Launcher?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 06:33 AM PST

Moving Apps to SD card feels pointless.

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 08:11 AM PST

There are some games I like to try out, but those take up at least a gigabyte to install. What I seriously hate about this I'd that you can only install it to the system's internal storage. There's absolutely no option to install it on an SD card.

Many say just move the app to the SD card in Settings. There's a problem with that. It only moves the APP instead of the APP and DATA together. There's no way to move an OBB file to the SD card without rooting and my phone can't be rooted anyway.

Why hasn't Google made this option yet?

submitted by /u/LuxerWap
[link] [comments]

Breaking News Apps

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 09:11 AM PST

I loved the NBC News Breaking News app and how it broke stories like 15 mins before most other news sources, especially this last year, but as of last night they have shut down operations. I'm wondering if there any really good/similar alternatives that you use?

submitted by /u/spiritoradio
[link] [comments]

Why does Snapchat use so much battery?

Posted: 31 Dec 2016 03:13 PM PST

My screen sits at 8% usage of battery, and Snapchat at 26%. This is consistent, SC uses my battery up so much. Not mobile radio active, but CPU foreground usage. Any fixes?

submitted by /u/Neosaurus_
[link] [comments]

I Just Created A New App To Track Your New Years Resolutions

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 02:46 AM PST

I just created a progress tracking app.

The idea behind the app was to create something to help me track my consecutive gym days, but it ended up being an app that can track how long you did/didn't do anything.

I would love to hear your feedbacks to improve my application.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lablizards.argusmonitor

submitted by /u/JanSLO
[link] [comments]

Player Pro vs Poweramp.Which one is good?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 08:41 AM PST

I want to buy only one of these apps.I don't care about the looks but I will be happy on updates.

submitted by /u/OldSchoolMonkey
[link] [comments]

Looking for an Office suite

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 05:56 AM PST

I am looking for an Office suite and if it is good enough I might consider buying a one-time licence after having tested it out. I have Polaris pre-installed on my device but I am looking for something else to test before proceeding with any purchase.

If it's worth mentioning, I am currently using LibreOffice on Windows 10.

submitted by /u/nMarco92
[link] [comments]

Is there an app that gives me notifications when a new episode is released of a show I watch

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 09:26 AM PST

I would really like it for Grand tour and Vikings, so busy that I cant track when the episodes appear

submitted by /u/Pilczu
[link] [comments]

How can I replace stock download manager that Google Play uses?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 09:02 AM PST

i want to use ADM everywhere instead of default stock downlaoder that doesn't has resume capacity.

submitted by /u/Metromask1
[link] [comments]

Facebook messenger used 1.3gb of mobile data whilst I slept

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 01:51 AM PST

*What is the best launcher action vs nova vs adw vs (another one you know)

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 08:50 AM PST

*What is the best file explorer in android ?*

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 08:33 AM PST

[HELP] How can i replace default browser with lightning browser on loaderdroid downloader?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 07:18 AM PST

can someone please guide me how to do that?

Thank you.

submitted by /u/Metromask1
[link] [comments]

Good TV remote for S7?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 09:59 AM PST

I'm looking for a decent TV remote for the S7. I use my PC on a Samsung TV/Monitor and it would be nice to control both from my phone.

submitted by /u/WikedSmiley
[link] [comments]

is there an app that can place invisible widgets that can launch an app?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 09:56 AM PST

Hi all, I was wondering if there was an app that created invisible widgets that could launch apps when you tap them.

submitted by /u/poopascoopa69
[link] [comments]

Adding folders to drawers in Nova Launcher?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 01:19 AM PST

I have lots of sports apps. I would like to organize them by sport but I can only get a folder in the main app drawer and not on the tab I want. How can I add a folder to my sports tab?

http://i.imgur.com/GT24hi0.png

submitted by /u/randykaisersd
[link] [comments]

Is Clean Master slowing your phone?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 09:12 AM PST

Because mine got a lot laggy after installing it

submitted by /u/Muazrozlan
[link] [comments]

is there any swiftkey mod out there which is superlite?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 03:07 AM PST

swiftkey uses almost 30mb and i think that's too big size for me. i just want swiftkey with black keyboard without emojis and just great engine that detects/remember my words precisely.

update: i found first version of swiftkey is powerful enough and does all job for me.

THanks all of you for leaving your thoughts.

submitted by /u/Metromask1
[link] [comments]

Any apps for watching free sports?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 05:18 AM PST

Wanting an app that can stream live sports etc in hd. Heard of kodi but not sure on how to get sources on it, thanks 👍✌️

submitted by /u/luke_avi
[link] [comments]

[DEV] Random Notification Sounds

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 08:58 AM PST

Hello everyone! I just finished an app I've been working on for a about a week now and thought I would post it on this sub reddit. I'm looking for any feedback I can get to hopefully make me a better programmer and improve my app. This app all started when I found some sweet notification sounds and wanted to set multiple of them as my notification sound. I remember doing this before using Tasker (great app by the way!) but since I no longer have Tasker installed I went and searched the play store for anything like this and came up empty so I made this app! Feel free to leave a review or a comment as any feedback will be much appreciated! Thanks for spending your time reading this and have a simply complex day! Link to app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplycomplexapps.randomnotificationsounds

submitted by /u/SimplyComplexApps
[link] [comments]

Is there an RSS App with a tabbed widget?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 12:20 AM PST

Right now I use Scrollable News for my RSS widget, which is fine, but I'm looking for a widget that could have tabs, the first tab being for all feeds compiled, and then a tab for each feed that you choose- so that I could look through the tabs through the widget alone. Is there anything like this?

submitted by /u/cabinboy752
[link] [comments]

Wallpapers?

Posted: 01 Jan 2017 03:13 AM PST

What wallpaper app should I use, I currently have Backdrops and Google Wallpapers but I would like more choice.

App must: - have a good collection of different and unique wallpapers - be designed well and it is easy to use

Thank you!

submitted by /u/MaxyBoy_14
[link] [comments]

Flamingo for Twitter - Import App Settings ?

Posted: 31 Dec 2016 08:13 PM PST

hi

how to use import settings option for flamingo ? i tried exporting and saved as txt/doc formats but the import option doesnt read the files

submitted by /u/Madroamer
[link] [comments]

Best app for taking notes that syncs with PC?

Posted: 31 Dec 2016 08:56 PM PST

I like to jot down to do lists and other things I need to remember on my phone and then look at it on my pc when I want to work.

I tried Evernote but wasn't a huge fan, any other apps like this?

Don't really care for that many features, just want it to be really user friendly and convenient to use.

Thanks

submitted by /u/--SOURCE--
[link] [comments]
Previous
Next Post »