Kickstarter: Open sourcing our Android and iOS apps!

Kickstarter: Open sourcing our Android and iOS apps!


Kickstarter: Open sourcing our Android and iOS apps!

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 09:40 AM PST

[Security and Encryption] Realm as the database for a banking application

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 08:51 PM PST

Hi,

I'm part of a team working on an app that includes banking features. One requirement is that user data is encrypted on the device.

The bank I'm working with suggested I stick to SQLite in Android because that has been "audited" and proven secure for banking purposes. I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I was asked to find out if Realm was an acceptable database for high security requirements.

I know Realm does encryption, but it will be better if I found examples of apps with high security requirements that use Realm for their DB.

submitted by /u/_wsgeorge
[link] [comments]

Android Support Library 25.1.0 & Custom SnackBar

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 04:12 PM PST

BufferTextInputLayout - A simple customisation of the Design Support Library Component

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 06:52 AM PST

Yet another MVP article — Part 1: Lets get to know the project

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 08:19 AM PST

Newbie Experiencing Some Issues..

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 10:11 PM PST

I was recently gifted Big Nerd Ranch's Android Programming textbook and am having issues with compiling the first project. I am creating instance variables for the buttons, and receive the error:

"Cannot resolve symbol 'mTrueButton'"

I have tried researching he issue and it seems to be pretty common. Any hints for someone trying to get into the Android development world? Thanks.

submitted by /u/DankBurritos
[link] [comments]

Beginner thinking about developing an app for work

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 09:28 PM PST

We use gsuite heavily at work. I have a group of technicians that do work at customers houses and when that work is complete, I have them fill out a gsuite form and then have them take a few pictures of the work completed and upload those pictures to a shared drive folder.

I'm not very experienced in programming and have zero experience with mobile, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a getting started development suite that could help me develop an app for our own internal use.

Would also be nice to know if it's possible to develop an app that would integrate the gsuite form and the taking and uploading of photos.

submitted by /u/imabarracuda
[link] [comments]

Introduction to Google Maps API for Android

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 11:07 AM PST

Whats the best way to generate an array of sms conversations/threads?

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 07:46 PM PST

Im attempting to generate an array of arrays, where each inner array is a array of sms messages (recipient and sender) belonging to a unique existing conversation.

In other words, the data structure for the way messages are layed out on any kind of messaging app.

Now iv googled this extensively but im having a hard time. Basically i get that you use a content resolver to query some table. It seems i should be querying the telephony.sms.conversations table, (theres also the threads table, im not sure what the difference is), this successfully gets me a list of conversations, but I'm not sure how to actually "open" a conversation and get all of its sms messages.

One solution i see is too also query the telephony.sms.sms table which i think holds all sms messages and then filter by the a thread id and finally sort by the timestamp.

Im not sure if this is the right way, or if theres a better method.

So does anyone know the best way of doing this?

Thanks.

submitted by /u/fozz179
[link] [comments]

Android: Improving sign-in experience with Google Sign-In and SmartLock

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 07:35 AM PST

Making the jump to Android development as a beginner/intermediate Javascript developer (a couple of questions)

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 12:34 PM PST

Hello!

I have a couple of ideas for mobile apps that I'd like to pursue. I've made a few small-scale projects for my employer that are all web-based and have learned the basics of Javascript. Jumping from web languages straight to Java is a really big leap to make, which makes me think I'd like to start with React Native or Ionic.

One of the projects I'd like to take on would be making a Muzei extension. Is it possible to add those dependencies to a new Android Studio project and use web languages (through React/Ionic) to write the program logic and interact with Muzei? Or is that more for the UI side of things? I'm basically hoping to avoid learning Java :)

Thanks for the thoughts!

Edit: Put another way... Does React Native allow you to do all of your app logic in Javascript as well, or just the UI parts? If so, can that app logic talk to dependencies like the Muzei API or Android Awareness API?

submitted by /u/xd1936
[link] [comments]

building a COSU mode app with a captive portal Hotspot ?

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 10:36 AM PST

hi guys, im looking to build a kiosk mode app with the Android 6.0 COSU mode. im talking about the "adb shell dpm set-device-owner" stuff. what im looking to do is enable my phone as a wifi Hotspot and restrict access to certain websites only. Kind of like a captive portal.

has anybody used device owner perms to do this? in general all the threads that talk about this are rooted phones... so im kind of wondering how to do this.

submitted by /u/sandys1
[link] [comments]

I've been solely Android Developer for a several years, but now I want to broaden my knowledge. Does anyone have any tips to start to learn the basics of iOS development?

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 09:35 AM PST

I have been fully focused on Android for the past few years at my internships in college and my first after school job. Now I am getting to a point where I have an opportunity to move up significantly if I can get a good grasp of both platforms. And even if I don't get any position the idea of it has made me want to broaden my understanding of mobile development.

Does anyone know of any useful transition guides or tutorials? Any tips at all?

submitted by /u/juiceyuh
[link] [comments]

App naming (avoiding copyrighted and trademarked names)

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 07:40 AM PST

What am I allowed to do or not do when it comes to the app name?

For example if there is an app called (making up a word at random here) Yodel, which is an app for, I don't know, karaoke or something -- am I allowed to make an app called Yodel if it's a different type of app entirely (e.g. a language app)? Can there be both a Yodel karaoke app and a Yodel language app made by two completely different people / companies / entities / etc?

Or what if there's a company (not even an app or app company necessarily -- just something you would find by Googling it) called Yodel, or a product that a company released called Yodel, etc.

What if I were to do something like "Yodel - A Language App" (where that phrase in its entirely has not been seen before).

My concern otherwise is that any word that you can think of that isn't completely made up is going to have been used by someone somewhere at some point for some commercial purpose.

Basically what am I not allowed to do when it comes to naming my app?

submitted by /u/Advicehwe
[link] [comments]

A lot of people was looking for a solution for svg loading. I have found nice one in Glide repo. So I wrote post about it

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 02:24 AM PST

Google Publishes Changes in the Android Support Library v25.1.0

Posted: 14 Dec 2016 08:06 AM PST

Previous
Next Post »